I am a postdoctoral research fellow at the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München. Before coming to Munich, I was a PhD student at the Faculty of
Philosophy, University of
Groningen where I worked under the supervision of Igor
On 2 February 2015, I defended my doctoral thesis titled Between "If" and "Then:" Towards an Empirically Informed Philosphy of Conditionals. Here you can find more information about the defence.
My research interests include semantics and pragmatics of conditionals, their role in reasoning and decision making, various issues related to semantics-pragmatics interface, and cognitive science.
Please click here to download my full curriculum vitae.
* Between "If," and "Then." Towards an empirically informed philosophy of conditionals. PhD thesis, University of Groningen, 2015.
(pdf, cover designed by Nina Gierasimczuk).
* 'Rethinking Gibbard's Riverboat Argument' with Sylvia Wenmackers and Igor Douven, Studia Logica, Volume 102, Issue 4, 2014, pp. 771-792 (link, pdf).
* 'Inferential Conditionals and Evidentiality' with Sylvia Wenmackers and Igor Douven, Journal of Logic, Language and Information, Volume 22, Issue 3, 2013, pp. 315-334 (link, pdf).
* 'Belief Ascription and the Ramsey Test', Synthese, Volume 190, Issue 1, 2013, pp. 21-36 (link, pdf).
* 'Conditionals, Inference, and Evidentiality' with Sylvia Wenmackers, Igor Douven and Sara Verbrugge, in: Jakub Szymanik and Rineke Verbrugge (eds.): 'Proceedings of the Logic & Cognition Workshop at ESSLLI 2012, Opole, Poland, 13-17 August, 2012', vol. 883 of CEUR Workshop Proceedings, CEUR-WS.org, 2012, pp. 38-47 (pdf).
* 'Ambiguous Conditionals' in: Piotr Stalmaszczyk (ed.): Philosophical and Formal Approaches to Linguistic Analysis, Ontos Verlag, 2012, pp. 315-332 (pdf).
* 'Sprawozdania z przekonań w perspektywie filozofii języka i kognitywistyki', Przegląd Filozoficzny No. 3 (75), 2010, pp. 297-319.
* 'Sprawozdania z przekonań w perspektywie filozofii języka i kognitywistyki' ('Belief reports in the perspective of philosophy of language and cognitive science'), Master's Thesis, Institute of Philosophy, University of Warsaw, 2009.
* Invited: What psychology of reasoning can teach us about the meaning of indicative conditionals: The case of a metalinguistic theory
, 2nd Belgrade Conference on Conditionals, Belgrade, Serbia, May 2016.
* Invited keynote: What Psychology of Reasoning Can Tell Us About the Meaning of Indicative Conditionals, Warsaw Workshop in Philosophy of Language: Logic and Meaning, Warsaw, Poland, May 2016.
* Invited: What are indicative conditionals about?, EuNoC Workshop, Leeds, UK, January 2016.
* Invited: A new kind of metalinguistic theory of conditionals. at the workshop "Do Conditionals have Truth Conditions? Dynamic and Pragmatic Aspects of Conditionals", GAP.9 Congress, Osnabrück, Germany, September 2015.
* Contributed symposium: Between "if" and "then." What do we learn when we learn a conditional? at If, Then, Otherwise: A Symposium on Conditionals, ESPP2015, Tartu, Estonia, July 2015.
* Invited: What is wrong with the Ramsey Test and why we should care. at the MCMP Colloquium in Philosophy, Logic and Philosophy of Science, Munich, Germany, May 2015.
* Contributed: Exact numerals as vague quantifiers at the 16th Szklarska Poręba Workshop on the Roots of Pragmasemantics, Szrenica, Szklarska Poręba, February 2015.
* Contributed: The Variety of Conditionals and the Evidential Function of Epistemic Modals at the London Reasoning Workshop, London, July 2013.
* Contributed: Deliberationally Useless Conditionals at the ESPP2013, Granada, July 2013.
* Contributed: Rethinking Gibbard’s Riverboat Argument at the 8th Barcelona Workshop on Conditionals, Barcelona, June 2013.
* Invited: Inferential conditionals at the Conditionals Workshop, Groningen, November 2012 (abstract).
* Contributed: Conditionals, Inference, and Evidentiality at the Logic & Cognition Workshop, ESSLLI, Opole, August 2012 (slides).
* Contributed: Ambiguity and Gibbard's Argument Against Propositional Theories of Conditionals at the Second International Conference on Philosophy of Language and Linguistics PhiLang2011, Łódź, May 2011.
* Contributed: Belief Ascription and the Ramsey Test at the 9th National Conference of the Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy Truth, Knowledge and Science, Padua, September 2010.
For the full list of my presentations, see my curriculum vitae.
* Advanced semnar "History of Analytic Philosophy." Summer 2016, LMU Munich.
* Advanced seminar "Philosophy of Mind." Winter 2015, LMU Munich (syllabus).
* Advanced seminar "Conditionals and Psychology of Reasoning." Summer 2015, LMU Munich (syllabus).
* PostDoc session "Conditionals and Cognitive Science." Summer School on Mathematical Philosophy for Female Students, July 2015, LMU Munich (slides).
* Master's level seminar "Philosophy of Logic: Conditionals" together with Igor Douven, Summer 2013, RUG.
Together with Milena Ivanova and Samuel Fletcher, I am organising:
* Third Summer School on Mathematical Philosophy for Female Students (Munich, Germany, 24-30 July 2016).
In the past, I co-organised:
* Causal and Probabilistic Reasoning Conference (Munich, Germany, 18-20 June 2015).
* "If, then, otherwise: a symposium on conditionals" at the 23rd Annual Meeting of the European Society for Philosophy and Psychology (Tartu, Estonia, July 2015).
* Graduate Coference in Theoretical Philosophy (Groningen, The Netherlands 18-20 April 2013).
k dot krzyzanowska at lmu dot de
Fakultät für Philosophie, Wissenschaftstheorie
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy
80539 München, Germany
80539 München, Germany
I am an amateurish cello player, a clumsy
sport climber, and a dilettante painter. When I travel I like to take photos
some of which I post on this
This website includes code from jQuery and is powered by GitHub. It is typeset in Athena by Jeffrey Rusten, and Essays 1743 by John Stracke which is based on the typeface used in a 1743 English translation of Michel de Montaigne's Essays (if you are using Internet Explorer, you probably don't see this font; I will try to fix that once I have some spare time).
© 2012 Karolina Krzyżanowska.